Browser Cookies
This site uses cookies necessary to properly function. By closing this popup, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies. View our policies.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I am a Dentist and I want to practice dental hygiene in Canada. What must I do to be eligible to write the examination?


When is the next examination?

All information about upcoming examinations, including the application deadlines can be found here (NDHCE).


Is the NDHCE certificate required everywhere in Canada?

The National Dental Hygiene Certificate (which can be obtained by passing the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination) is an essential requirement before you can apply for initial registration/licensing in all Canadian provinces, except Québec.


I recently wrote the NDHCE. When can I have my results?

While the results are posted in the “Exam Results” section of our website as soon as they are available from the Testing Agency, the FDHRC has up to six weeks from the day you wrote the FDHRC to mail out examination results and all the supporting documents (typically the results are mailed out within two weeks after the unofficial results are posted on our website).


If I pay extra money can I have my NDHCE results couriered to me?

Yes! Passing results and the certificate can be sent by priority courier service - please see the Fee Schedule for the cost. They will however be couriered at the same time as the mailed-out results. Contact the FDHRC for more info and to arrange payment. Failing results are sent by email.


What does a "notarized copy" mean?

Notarized means that you take the original of the requested document to an individual who is able to notarize documents (lawyer, notary, commissioner of oath). That individual will take your original, make a copy of it and then stamp it with a special stamp that indicates that the document has been notarized and is a true copy of the original. You may find a list of notaries in your area via a web search, or seek out a lawyer to provide the service, or you can go to City Hall and have a commissioner of oath provide the service. The FDHRC does not notarize documents.


If I graduated from a dental hygiene program not accredited in Canada or the US, will I be able to write the National Dental Hygiene Certification Examination?

If you graduate from a dental hygiene program not accredited in Canada or the US, you are NOT automatically eligible to write the NDHCE. You will first need to apply for an equivalency evaluation. Please click here for more information.


I just applied online, and I received confirmation of payment. Does that mean I am now registered for the NDHCE?

The payment confirmation does not mean you are registered for the exam yet. Within 1-2 weeks after the application deadline, you will receive your registration confirmation AFTER your DH Program Director has confirmed your eligibility.