FDHRC Project: Entry to Practice Canadian Competencies for Dental Hygienists
The FDHRC has enlisted the services of Cambridge Professional Development (CamProf) — an international consultancy and expert in professional competencies — to lead the Entry-to-Practice Canadian Competencies for Dental Hygienists Project (EPCCoDH). This Project will review and update the current set of national entry-to-practice competencies for dental hygienists that were developed in 2010 by the Canadian Dental Hygienists Association and a national group of dental hygiene regulators.
The scope of the Project includes:
- confirming that the competencies cover current practice, including both knowledge and performance expectations;
- ensuring that the full range of competencies, both technical and non-technical, are included;
- identifying what additional competencies are likely to be required due to changes in legislation, technology and any other factors;
- ensuring that the full range of variety is included, for example: specializations, provincial differences;
- exploring the format and components of the competencies to ensure they are as usable and useful as possible and in line with current national and international best practice.
It is the goal of the FDHRC that these competencies will be used across Canada by a variety of stakeholders for many purposes, including:
- comparing dental hygienist credentials including internationally;
- regulation of dental hygienists at entry to practice, re-entry and for standards of practice;
- to identify training needs for self-development, performance appraisals and organization.
The Project will take place over the next year with completion targeted for December 2020. The Project will be collaborative and inclusive, involving regulators, educators, clinical dental hygienists, the Canadian Dental Hygienist’s Association, the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board and other stakeholders during various stages of the project.
Updates on the progress of the project will be posted on this website. For further information on the project, please email email@example.com.